Buying a new home is not a matter that can be taken lightly. It is one of the most serious investments a person can make. Hence, one should pay attention to every single detail while looking for and buying a house. What do you need in a house? What kind of house do you want? Do you want an eco-friendly house, etc? Today I am going to share with you some important things to consider when buying a house.
There are a number of basic factors to consider while buying a house – the location, the surroundings, the environment, proximity to places like schools, colleges, offices and markets, and many more. You should have a fair idea about the place. Some people prefer having houses away from the general hullabaloo of city life and can choose to live in more quiet locations. Some people think from a more practical point of view and choose to stay amidst the city where getting to work and meeting up with friends is easy.
Once the location has been decided, then comes the house itself. Scrutinizing a house before striking the final deal is the most important aspect here. You don’t want to miss something and end up regretting your purchase. Here are some of the things that a person should check while investigating a house:
- The types of cooling and heating systems. This is necessary for a potential home owner to assess. You need to be sure of what you require or desire to have. Do you want hot water heat or a furnace? Do you need air conditioning or can you live with fans? Is there an option to put in a geothermal system? All of these questions should be asked.
- Number of bathrooms and bedrooms. This is another important factor when it comes to choosing a house. You must know what your requirement is. Depending on the size of your family, you must see if the house you are considering has the required number of bedrooms and bathrooms.
- Presence of a backyard or a frontyard. If you are fond of gardening and landscaping, this is a must-check. Many houses have yards however some do not. Presence of a yard is necessary if your family has children and pets because it provides a space for them to play for free in a safe location.
- Presence of a basement or an attic. If you have a whole lot of things that you do not want to discard, you will require a basement or an attic that can accommodate these items. However, in my opinion it is best to downsize as much as you can. Why pay for storage for things you don’t use anyways?!
- Presence of a garage or a shed. If you own a car and live in a temperamental climate, you are probably going to want a garage. I know mine comes in handy when it is -40C in winter outside.
- State of the kitchen and bathrooms. These are the two most important parts of a house. You must scrutinize the kitchens and the bathrooms properly since they are the most used rooms in a home. They should be properly maintained, in terms of hygiene and function or don’t buy the home.
- Type of windows. Windows constitute another significant factor while looking for a house. You need to make sure that the windows of a house are properly installed and are devoid of any defect. Faulty windows can fall hard on your pocket later on if they are leaking and not insulating like they should be.
- Presence of an energy retrofit. This must be checked in order to decide whether there is any need to install another energy-retrofit system. There are several sustainable energy-retrofit options available in the market these days. They are immensely helpful in saving money on energy. This was one of the things that was really important to us when we bought our home.