I have only ever seen the movie “Gone with the Wind” once in my life but it does hold a special value for me. You see, I was named after it. The store of Rhett and Scarlett was one of my mother’s all time favourites; henceforth she named me after it.
It is interesting how movies can play a roll in our life outside that of entertainment. We relate to a character, fall in love with the drama, or learn life skills and lessons that help us on our journey. Here are a few things that I learnt from my mother’s all time fav:
- Don’t spend your life chasing after something that doesn’t really exist or doesn’t really matter. So many times we can get wrapped up in the things that are unimportant that we forget about the big picture. Always try to keep your big vision and goals in the forefront of your mind. This will help you make the right decisions along the way.
- Find and appreciate someone who loves you for who you really are. In this day and age, superficiality and shallowness is far to common if you ask me. People take advantage of one another and use each other for their own gains. Don’t fall into this trap. Don’t change your actions or beliefs to fit a mold. Be true to yourself and look for someone who knows how great of a catch you are and won’t take advantage of it.
- We need to be able to adapt quickly. Sometimes things in life catch us by surprise or a horrible life changing event occurs. We need to be able to adapt and look to the future. Don’t spend your time focusing on what was. It won’t help you solve the problem.
- Be selfish sometimes. Sometimes we need to do what is best for us and/or our family even if it seems selfish to someone else. This is the only way we will make the right decision and get the right outcome.
- Don’t underestimate your strength. Often, we underestimate how much we can handle or get through. It is easy to say you give up or you can’t fix it but the reality is we can. We just have to stay determined and focused on the end goal. It is amazing what you can find you get yourself through.
- You need to get dirty. Things in life aren’t easy and we often have to roll up our sleeves and work hard to get the job done. If we don’t give our full effort into the things that are important in our lives, then we won’t get the optimal results from them.
It is funny how a movie that takes place in a very specific time and place still has lessons in it that are relevant today.
Have any of you seen the movie? What did you learn?
Thank you. I try to put out content that is useful to others.