For this “GO Green” Monday, I am going to share with you 10 things that you can recycle that you probably haven’t considered.
- Batteries. There are many places now where you can bring in your used one time use batteries for recycling. We keep a milk jug that we put them into when they burn out and once the jug is full, we take it to the depot.
- Cardboard boxes. Next time you get something shipped to you or you move, consider offering your boxes to a local shelter or school. They often have a need for them. Or you can put them up online as a free item for people to come pick up.
- Eye glasses. Take them down to your local Lions club or Blind institute. There are always those with limited funds who could use glasses.
- Foam packing. Take it down to one of your local pack and ship depots. They will reuse it.
- Oil. Next time you give your car an oil change, collect the used oil in a container. There are hotlines in most cities that you can call and they will accept it. This is way better than throwing it out and risking hurting wildlife.
- Sports equipment. There are many organizations that will accept it to give to those who can’t afford it. Just check with your local sports organization or sports store. They will be able to give you a list of places to drop it off.
- Printer cartridges. If you don’t want to refill them yourself you can donate them for refilling so someone else can use them.
- Computers. There are many places that will take your old computer and use it for parts. Just a few months ago I saw a computer screen and tower in our back lane for garbage pick up. It disgusted me. We actually picked it up and are fixing it up for my grandmother to use.
- Scratched DVD/CD/Game. If you have a scratched disc, don’t just throw it out. They can actually be fixed at www.auraltech.com and they will work good as new.
- Running shoes. Nike will recycle any brand of any running shoe that you have. Just locate the nearest drop off centre to you.
Have you found anything else that you can recycle that you didn’t know you could?