I hate to say it but Christmas is just over 2 months away. For those of us who like be organized and save a few pennies at this time of year, here are some tips where you can do just that:
- Start your shopping now. There is no reason to wait until December to get started. Start watching for sales and bargains throughout the year and get presents as you see them. This saves you time and money in December.
- Stock up on your baking goods. Everything from clothing to groceries gets marked up in December. Get organized and buy your ingredients ahead of time when they are still a decent price.
- Don’t plan a menu that involves shopping. If you are in charge of holiday baking, don’t pick recipes for things that you don’t have the ingredients for. Use what you have in your pantry to create some delicious treats.
- Forgo the tree. Trees are marked up in price in December and don’t go on sale until after the holidays. Instead, forgo a tree and enjoy the holidays for what they are supposed to be fore- spending time with family. This saves you a ton of money as well as reduces you environmental impact.
- Make your own decorations and cards. Get our some markers and paper, etc. and sit down with a cup of coffee and get creative. Not only will they be unique creations but they will also be personalized and free.
- Make your own gifts. We have done this lots. Sometimes a jar full of ingredients for a soup with a bow on top does just the trick for someone. Gifts don’t need to be fancy. They just need to be from the heart and useful. This saves your from wasting time in store lines as well as money.
- Stay in town. There are plenty of things to do over the holidays in your own city. There is no reason to have to spend money on traveling. Just check your local paper for listings.
- Use real dinnerware. Instead of using paper and plastic which is bad for the earth and expensive, use your own dishes. It provides a nice added touch.
These are just a few ideas that we have come up with to enjoy the holidays without sinking ourselves in the hole. Remember to be creative and that the most important thing is to spend time with your loved ones.
So how do you save money on holidays? Share with us.