As many of you have read before, I love gardening. It has been a great way to cut on costs of living as well as increase the health of myself and my family. Here are some tips you can use to get the most out of your veggie garden:
- Adequate sunlight. Make sure your produce is getting at least 6 hours of sunlight per day.
- Use quick growers. Plant things like lettuce and radishes in between other plants that take longer to grow. This helps maximize your space.
- Water when dry. During really hot days and dry periods, make sure you water everything a bit extra. Most veggies need an inch or more of water a week.
- Pest check. Make sure to keep an eye out for bugs. They can take over your plant in a blink of an eye. If you do find some, use organic and natural remedies to get rid of them. Good old soap and water works on most. This way your garden can stay organic and natural, upping the health benefits.
- Protect from nature’s neighbours. Make sure to protect you plants from rabbits and other critters. I use pots which are high enough that they can’t get to them but wire fences will also work. The bonus with fences is you can use them as supports for peas, squash, or beans.
These are just a few simple steps you can take to ensure you max out your veggies. Trust me; your hard work will pay dividends.